- Tentative Contest Schedule
- You are not involved in any part in the administration and execution of this contest and/or ECML/PKDD 2015;
- You are not an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, or child) or household member of a person involved in any part in the administration and execution of this contest and/or ECML/PKDD 2015.
- Entry Contents: Participants will submit prediction results on test data during the development phase. They will receive feedback during this stage. Yet, only the best results will count for evaluation;
- Workshop paper: To be part of the final ranking, participants will be required to publish a detailed paper in the proceedings of the ECML/PKDD workshop;
- Code Submission: To be eligible to receive their prizes, the candidates for prizes are required to publicly release their code under a license of their choice, choosing among popular OSI-approved licenses (http://opensource.org/licenses) and make their code accessible on-line for a period of no less than one year (e.g. personal website) following the end of the challenge (i.e. Post-Challenge Verifications End);
- Use of the provided data: All data provided by this challenge are freely available to the participants through the challenge's website, under license terms provided with the test data;
- Submission: The participants' entries (predictions and code) will be submitted online, via the Kaggle web platform. During the development period, the participants will receive immediate feed-back on their submissions through a "Public Leaderboard". Yet, this ranking will be subject to an evaluation after the end of the development stage. The "Public Leaderboard" will display partial results to help the teams assess and validate their progression in this challenge. Such partial results will be computed using only a subsample of the total test data (i.e. 50%);
- Original work, permissions: In addition, by submitting your entry into this contest you confirm that, to the best of your knowledge: (1) Your entry is your own original work; and (2) Your entry only includes material that you own, or that you have permission from the copyright / trademark owner to use.
- Potential use of entry
- Are granting us an irrevocable, worldwide right and license, in exchange for your opportunity to participate in the contest and potential prize awards, for the duration of the protection of the copyrights to:
- Use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze results submitted, or produced by your code, and other material submitted by you in connection with this contest and any future research, contests or products sponsored by Geolink Lda. and contest in all media (now known or later developed);
- Feature your entry and all its content in connection with the promotion of this contest in all media (now known or later developed).
- Are acknowledgeable that this license does not extend to methods, algorithms; source code used to generate your entry, unless you are one of the winners and have publicly disclosed them;
- Understand and acknowledge that challenge organizers and other entrants may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- Understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these official rules.
- Submission of entries
- Follow the instructions on the competition's website to submit entries;
- The participants will be registered as mutually exclusive teams. Each team may submit only one single final entry. We are not responsible for entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for entries that we receive but are not functioning properly;
- The participants are subject to accept the terms of Kaggle, including the rules recapitulated in this section:
The Contest Schedule is available here.
Note: If you choose to submit an entry, but are not qualified to enter the contest, this entry is voluntary, and any entry you submit is governed by the remainder of these contest rules; ECML/PKDD reserves the right to evaluate it for scientific purposes. If you are not qualified to submit a contest entry and still choose to submit one, under no circumstances will such entries qualify for sponsored prizes.
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- One account per participant - therefore you cannot submit from multiple accounts;
- No private sharing outside teams is permitted - It's OK to share code if made available to all players on the forums;
- Public dissemination of entries - Kaggle and the competition host have the right to publicly disseminate any entries or models;
- Open licensing of winners - Winning solutions need to be made available under a popular OSI-approved license in order to be eligible for recognition and prize money;
- Winning solutions must be posted or linked to in the forums - Prizes will be awarded after the winners have posted their solutions to the competition forum. Winners must post or link to their solutions with seven days of the final competition deadline (i.e. Post-Challenge Verifications End);
- Team Mergers - Team mergers are allowed and can be performed by the team leader. In order to merge, the combined team must have a total submission count less than or equal to the maximum allowed as of the merge date;
- Team Limits - There is no maximum team size;
- Submission Limits - You can submit a maximum of 2 entries per day. You can select up to 3 final submissions for judging.
The only external data source that can be used along with the datasets provided is WEATHER-based data (e.g. weather forecasts). We do reserve the right to disqualify any Participant who has undertaken or attempted to undertake the use of any other data that the (1) one provided or from the abovementioned source(s).
If there is any change to data, schedule, instructions of participation, or these rules, the registered participants will be notified through the email address they provided when registering.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the e-mail address listed on your final entry within seven days following the determination of winners. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award the prize to an alternate winner.
Winners who have entered the contest as a team will be responsible to share any prizes among their members. The prize will be delivered to the registered team leader. If this person becomes unavailable for any reason, the prize will be delivered to be the authorized account holder of the e-mail address used to make the winning entry.
If you are a potential winner, we may require you to sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release and applicable tax forms. If you are a potential winner and are a minor in your place of residence, and we require that your parent or legal guardian will be designated as the winner, and we may require that they sign a declaration of eligibility, use, indemnity and liability/publicity release on your behalf. If you, (or your parent/legal guardian if applicable), do not sign and return these required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you (or the designated parent/legal guardian) and select an alternate selected winner.
We will post changes in the rules or changes in the data, as well as the names of confirmed winners (after contest decisions are made by the judges) online on the competition's website. This list will remain posted for one year or will be made available upon request by sending an email to tst.challenge[at]ecmlpkdd2015.org.
By participating in this contest, you agree to abide by these rules. In case you do not, please do not participate in our contest.
If an unforeseen or unexpected event (including, but not limited to: someone cheating; a virus, bug, or catastrophic event corrupting data or the submission platform; someone discovering a flaw in the data or modalities of the challenge) that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and/or integrity of this contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this contest.
Geolink, Lda. is the official sponsor of this contest. Geolink is a privately-funded company established in December 2007 as a spin-off company from the research developed within the Department of Computer Science of the School of Sciences of the University of Porto (FCUP), in the area of vehicular communications and spatial databases.
Geolink has specialized in the optimization of the operation of automotive fleets, involving mobile computing devices that communicate in real-time with central servers that permanently monitor and optimize the operation of vehicles. Call center solutions that tightly integrate with the fleet management services are also a fundamental component of the technological architectures developed by Geolink. We partner with major telecommunication operators for setting up our advanced solutions in terms of fixed and mobile communications and with NDrive to power the GPS navigation installed in the mobile terminals.
Geolink is based in Porto, Portugal and is a proud partner of the Carnegie Mellon - Portugal international program and was heavily involved with the DRIVE-IN (Distributed Routing and Infotainment through VEhicular Inter-Networking) research project, deploying a 500 nodes vehicular network in the city of Porto, in the north of Portugal.